Monday, September 05, 2022

I'm back with a Dell

 It's been a while since I last posted anything here. Honestly, it's nice to be able to log in and just type all my thoughts and feelings here. Oddly enough though, one reason for my hiatus was actually because I did not have a PC of my own. I know right? But hear me out, okay. 

I got my first laptop, a Toshiba, back in 2003 and I used it for school and my complete social life, at the time. Once it decided enough was enough, it kind of died on me forcing me to look for another one. Now bear in mind this is still the late 2000's. After my Toshiba completely died, I decided to give into the hype and got myself a Mac Pro, it was a pretty big deal at the time. Honestly though, and not to offend any Apple lovers here, but I never really loved nor understood that Mac book. I struggled to use it, but it did allow me to write post here but to really utilize it the way I did my Toshiba - I just couldn't! My Toshiba was with me for about 8-9years. Now for a laptop, that is fantastic life and usage!! But it was different with the Mac. Now don't get me wrong, there wasn't anything wrong with the laptop itself, it's just that I'm not much of an Apple consumer. I missed Windows and everything familiar to me.

My Mac didn't last that long with me, maybe about 4-5years? My sister's laptop, also a Mac book Pro, exact same model as mine, crashed and her display wasn't working or anything. So, my husband asked if I would mind swapping over her hard drive into my laptop since I wasn't really using it anymore. It was a no brainer for me. By that time, I was so busy with work and everything that I spent most of my time on my office laptop and didn't even touch my Mac anymore, so yeah gave it to my sister. She is still an Apple user till today, Mac book, iPad but I did get her a Samsung as a handphone and so far, no complaints from here, seeing that it was free.

Back to the main topic, I noticed throughout the years I was only using and reaching for my office laptop. Which never did bother me until recently. Cyber-security and all that stuff now, Single Sign On and USB restrictions. Now these three made it really hard to use the office laptop as a person laptop. Doesn't mean I didn't use it, I was just more cautious when I did use it for anything person because of the Single Sign On (SSO) via Okta, it truly did make logging into my personal accounts really hard. So, I caved and told my husband this year will be the year that I buy myself a laptop! My very own after close to 10years, thereabout.

There was an IT Fair recently, just this past weekend and we went down, and I bought myself a brand-new Dell laptop! Now this is hilarious to me because my work laptops have all been Dell, been with my company for 16years and have used Dell throughout, so to get a Dell as a personal laptop, just made me laugh. But there is no denying the service support and capabilities are good - to me!

So here I am, typing away on my new laptop, it feels kind of surreal to be honest, but I am still enjoying the whole setting it up and having everything personalized again. Haven't had a personalized laptop in so long because my company does restrict all those settings. Meaning the background and color schemes are fixed and locked, worse is the screen's background picture changes every month so whatever the company wants to advertise' that month, but sometimes the colors just don't work out. 

There is this one background that is basically all white, ALL WHITE, and not the font color of the files on my desktop don't get changed they remain WHITE as well. How am I supposed to read any of my file names??!! It is atrocious if I may provide my very honest feedback and opinion. I rather it remains a single solid color if that is the case and not do all this fancy stuff which just makes everything so messy and uncomfortable to the eyes. The worst part is, I have to rearrange the icons on my desktop because of these backgrounds!

I feel like now with my very own laptop and being able to customize the color schemes and all that just makes me feel nice about being on the laptop again. Logging into here and typing out a post. This may seem like an odd thing to write about but like I said, this is all about my penning down my thoughts and feelings and right now my thoughts and feelings are pure joy that this laptop has given me. Such joy from such a mundane thing in life. Guess it is true, you never truly understand the value of something till you lose it. I am just thankful I finally got it back, makes me rethink certain aspects of life just because. That shall be for another post, for now, I shall go back to customizing this to my liking. Slowly it will take shape of something fantastic!!

No comments: