Friday, September 16, 2022

The Help

 Picked up my new helper today, can't believe how long we managed without any help. To some this may sound odd but here it is very common to have a helper to take care of the cooking and cleaning which frees up time for those of us who are working to have more time looking after and spending time with our families/children and being able to provide our fullest attention at work.

I feel that working mom's tend to be underappreciated, speaking as one myself. It's harder to be a mother, especially when the kids are toddlers/young children. They require more attention and more guidance because this is the stage of learning, they are literal sponges. Monkey see, monkey do - literally!

In these formative years, are the times most mom's are working and also at an age of the either make it or break it stage. Being young enough to put in the effort and time to reap the benefits through promotions and expanded roles and other opportunities. Many times, women either miss these opportunities or fully grasp them but become less involved in their children's/family's life. Most opting to be more involved then anything else. Children trump all else!

It's hard, I do admit. However, these days it is getting easier and better. Overall everyone is more aware of the struggle and men are becoming more involved as well - not to say they weren't in the past, they did but in a different way. They were the breadwinners, that's just how life was. Nowadays, things are shifting and for the better. The load of struggles is shared between both partners, all the good and bad is experienced by both and both make sacrifices for their families. And that includes their wives, not just the children.

I will say that I am very blessed to have a very supportive husband who is willing, not happily, but willing to do all the housework, cooking and looking after the kids while I work or take my late night or even over night calls. He understands these opportunities are good for me and my career and fully supports me. In return I do that same. It's a give and take and it works, at least for us. I do believe it will and does for many others but I rather not speak on behalf of anyone other than myself.

There are many more thoughts in my head but I shall leave those for another post and for now, sign off, bath and have a nice cold beer while catching up on my show.


No comments: